Academics All NCAA Rules

Education Impacting Disabilities: How to Request Accommodation for Imparement

From the NCAA… For academic eligibility purposes, the NCAA defines an education-impacting disability as a current impairment that has a substantial educational impact on a student’s academic performance and requires accommodation.

Some of the most common EIDs:
• Learning disabilities or disorders.
• Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
• Mental health disorders.
• Medical conditions.
• Deaf or hard of hearing.
• Autism spectrum disorder.

If you have a documented EID, you must meet the same initial-eligibility standards as other students but may be provided certain accommodations to help meet those standards. For instance, if you have a documented EID, you may be allowed to take classes designed for students with EIDs if the classes appear on the list of NCAA-approved courses at your school.

If you plan on attending a Division I school and your EID documentation is approved by the NCAA Eligibility Center, you may take up to three additional core courses after graduating from high school and before enrolling full time at a Division I school, as long as you graduate high school in eight consecutive semesters after starting ninth grade.

If you plan on attending a Division II school, you may take an unlimited number of core courses after starting ninth grade and before enrolling full time at a Division II school.

Submitting Your EID Documentation
If you are a student with a documented EID, you only need to alert the NCAA Eligibility Center to your EID if you are planning on enrolling full time at a Division I school and would like to take additional core courses after you graduate high school. Information about EIDs submitted to the NCAA is not released to colleges unless the student athlete makes a specific written request.

To document your EID with the NCAA Eligibility Center, you must submit the following materials:
1. A complete NCAA EID cover sheet.
2. Your NCAA identification number, high school graduation year, permanent address and phone number.
3. Current, signed documentation of your diagnosis (including test data) and/or recommendations from the treating professional (e.g., medical doctor, clinical psychologist or other qualified individual).
4. Current copy of your Individualized Education Program or Section 504 Plan. If your high school did not provide an IEP or 504 Plan, the high school must submit documentation describing the available accommodations or an explanation of why accommodations were not provided.
5. A signed Buckley statement form allowing certain individuals to review your EID information and speak on your behalf to the NCAA. A parent or guardian who would like to discuss your EID request with the NCAA must be listed on the Buckley statement.

The cover sheet and Buckley statement can be found at

Where To Send Your EID Documents
NCAA Eligibility Center
EID Services
P.O. Box 7110
Indianapolis, IN 46207-7110
Fax: 317-968-5100
Email: [email protected]

If approved, you will be notified in writing and provided with additional information about available accommodations.

You may also like...